Surprise, surprise: Singapore came out tops as the world’s most expensive city yet again. But that doesn’t need you should stay at home. Head down to these free events and save some much-needed bucks.
Mon, Mar 9
- Give back to the community at Love is the Last Thing on My Mind where artists bring traditional and street theater to hospices, orphanages and old folks’ homes.
- This year’s Design Stage focuses on Asian designers and brings together collectors, galleries, curators and critics across all design genres.
Tue, Mar 10
- The spotlight is on two Korean artists: Kim Joon and Hosook Kang. Although they’re at two ends of the artistic spectrum, expect graphic digital prints filled with pop culture symbols from Kim Joon and a painterly approach from Hosook Kang.
- It’s the beginning of Singapore Design Week and one of the main draws is SingaPlural: an event all about Singaporean design, ranging from architecture to urban planning and even fashion design.
Wed, Mar 11
- It’s time for a Circular Road block party with cocktails by Gong, food by Marco Marco and plus39 gelato and music by the guys from KiloWatt Soundsystem at Far Niente.
- Watch rare and previously banned movies at Malaya Black and White. Tonight, they’re showing Saint Jack, a film about a moral pimp who schemes and dreams across ’70s Singapore.
- Circular Road’s crepe-specialty restaurant Le Comptoir gets a facelift. O Comptoir debuts a Wednesday night special, I Think I Like Wednesdays, with lots of rose, bubbly and crepes. Drinks are $7, but if you come in a group of four, you get a bottle of bubbly free.
Thu, Mar 12
- The National Design Centre debuts their Layers of Light exhibition with an interactive instalation that plays with light and shadow.
- Ladies, it’s time to let loose at Kyo’s Hold It Ladies night where you’ll get free entry and vodka-crans all night long.
Fri, Mar 13
- Walk down Circular Road and Boat Quay to join the raucous St. Patrick’s Day Festival. There are tons of free booths peddling out cotton candy, snacks, face painting and maybe, a pint or two.
- It’s a night of soundbites at Musicians Unite! with the likes of Oli Hughes, Tom Gilbert and Yazeid Rahman on the stage. There are also guest musicians throughout the night.
Sat, Mar 14
- Chill out with a packed picnic basket and some ice cold beers at the free outdoor concert series SG50 Concert in the Park.
- Party at Blu Jaz’s The Fever night with DJs from the Pushin’On crew who will be spinning funk, reggae and hip-hop beats. Free entry before 10:30pm.
Sun, Mar 15
- Just imagine your dream home at this year’s edition of the International Furniture Fair. The interior design showcase has a huge range of accessories from up-and-coming and established designers to lust after. The furniture is not free, obviously, but the daydreaming is.