A house is not a home, until you make it your own. “It’s all about creating a warm, welcoming, and comfortable environment that reflects your personality and meets your needs,” says Nicole Kow, marketing manager at Nic & Wes Builders.
One can say building homes in Kow’s blood. After all, Nic & Wes Builders was partly named after her (her brother Wesley is the other half) by her parents Brian and Jude Kow when it was founded back in 2002. The homegrown design-and build-company, which specialises in bespoke landed residential homes, offers a comprehensive range of services to homeowners, including conceptualising, project-managing and building homes.
Since joining the family-run enterprise, Kow has used her expertise as a marketing manager to grow the company. She also shadows her father, who is the managing director, in the running of the business. Here, she shares easy ways to craft spaces that truly feel like home.
1. Personalise your space. Just as Singapore celebrates its unique cultural identity, embrace your own heritage and personal style by adding touches of your individuality throughout your home. Display family photos, artwork, or cherished mementoes that remind you of your roots and create a sense of belonging.
2. Declutter and organise. It helps to reduce stress and create a peaceful atmosphere. Find suitable storage solutions for items you want to keep but don’t use regularly. A clutter-free environment promotes a sense of freedom and tranquillity.
3. Use warm and inviting colours. Draw inspiration from the nation’s rich tapestry of cultures and opt for a colour palette that reflects your personal taste. Whether it’s the soothing hues of nature or the vibrant tones of local festivities, these colours will infuse your space with a warm and welcoming ambience.
4. Soften the space with textiles. Embrace the warmth of area rugs, plush cushions, and cosy throws. These textiles create a comforting and welcoming atmosphere, and provide a sense of security and familiarity.
5. Create cosy seating areas. To foster a sense of community and togetherness, arrange your furniture to create comfortable seating areas where friends and family can gather. Encourage conversation and connection by grouping chairs and sofas, and ensure ample seating for everyone to feel included. By nurturing these social spaces, you can cultivate a sense of belonging and forge lasting memories within your home
6. Bring nature indoors. You can do this by incorporating houseplants into your home. The lushness of nature enhances the aesthetic appeal, improves air quality, and promotes a sense of calm and well-being. Surrounding yourself with greenery can evoke a connection to the natural world and create a serene sanctuary within your home.
7. Have good lighting. Utilise a mix of ambient, task, and accent lighting to create layers and set the desired mood. Thoughtfully chosen lighting can transform your house into a warm and inviting home, and establish a sense of awe and comfort.
8. Add scented candles or essential oils. Engage your sense of smell by incorporating scented candles or essential oils. Choose fragrances that evoke a feeling of comfort, such as floral notes or calming scents like lavender.
9. Play background music. Select tunes that resonate with your personal taste and create a soothing ambience. Music has the power to evoke emotions and memories, further contributing to the feeling of being at home.
10. Create functional and meaningful spaces. These spaces within your home should align with your daily activities and hobbies. Dedicate reading, crafting or exercise areas, ensuring that they reflect your interests and support your well-being. You will enhance your comfort and sense of home by curating spaces tailored to your needs.
For more information about creating your ideal home, visit nicnwes.com.