Singaporeans love to shop and travel. Along with feasting, the activities rank amongst our top favourite pastimes.
Not that our little red dot is lacking things to do. After all, we’ve been called a shopping paradise, with a vast array of retail shops and lifestyle establishments to cater to all our needs and wants.
And yet, we regularly flock to neighbouring countries like Thailand to shop because of lower prices, availability of niche brands and local products.
Now there is another reason to go on an overseas shopping trip: Siam Premium Outlets Bangkok. Located on the eastern outskirts of the capital, this premier luxury outlet shopping mall in Thailand brings together more than 300 local and international brands, with many offering extravagant discounts of up to 70 percent.
Siam Premium Outlets Bangkok is operated by Simon Premium Outlets, a leading global operator of luxury outlet shopping malls around the world, including the U.S., Japan, South Korea and Malaysia.
The outlet mall actually opened in 2020, in the middle of the pandemic, so visitors then were mostly local tourists or Thai residents. As the travel industry recovers back to pre-Covid levels, it is now ready to welcome everyone, including foreign tourists (that’s us).
There are plenty of reasons to make that two and a half hour flight there – the biggest one being able to shop luxury brands at discounted prices. You’ll find exclusive international and local brands in an upmarket shopping mall environment.
Ready to shop? Here’s what to know about Bangkok’s discount shopping haven so you can maximise savings and have the best experience there.
1. It’s a 45-minute drive from the city centre by car or taxi, and just 15 minutes from Suvarnabhumi International Airport. There is also an hourly shuttle bus from Siam Paragon in downtown Bangkok from 10am to 5pm. Convenient!
Pro tip: Set aside at least half a day (or ideally, the whole day) when planning your trip so that you’ll be able to properly explore the mall. Best time to visit? According to the staff, go on weekdays if you want to avoid the crowds.
2. You’ll find outlets of world-famous luxury brands, including numerous labels that are exclusive to Siam Premium Outlets. They include Balenciaga, Burberry, Versace, Jimmy Choo, Bally, Boss, Longchamp, CK Calvin Klein, Marc Jacbos, Fred Perry and Karl Lagerfeld.
3. Affordable fashion, accessories and homeware brands are here, too. Look out for Mango, American Tourister, Samsonite, Swarovski, Bossini, and more.
4. Check out the wide range of sports and footwear brands (Adidas, Lacoste, Puma, Under Armour and Vans are among them) – all offer generous discounts. Nike, Asics, Anta, Dr Martens, Camper and Skechers are exclusive to the outlet mall.
5. Keep your eyes peeled for pop-up events and stores such as the exclusive sale of Jim Thompson’s world famous Thai silk products, and individual store promotions.
6. Take a break from shopping and dine at the many eateries within Siam Premium Outlets. There are plenty of food and beverage options, ranging from fast food and cafes (KFC, Starbucks and Subway are some familiar names), to casual diners and restaurants.
7. Turn your shopping trip into an outing for the whole family. Kids can have fun at the Indoor and Outdoor Kids Playgrounds, while mums can rest at the nursing and family room. Wheelchair service is also available.
8. Leave your bulky bags and cumbersome luggage at the lockers provided. Other services like free WiFi make shopping a breeze.
10. Tourists and visitors to Thailand enjoy the extra bonus of VAT tax refund and privileges of One Siam Tourist Card and Siam Gift Card. Certain credit cards and airlines offer special perks and offers with minimum spend.
For VAT Refund, look out the sign at the store and spend at least 2,000 baht per person in the same store on the same day. Produce your passport and ask for the P.P.10 Form and original tax invoices on the purchase date (the salesperson should be able to help fill up the form). Take the goods out of Thailand within 60 days of purchase date from the international airport to receive your refund.
Siam Premium Outlets is located at 989 moo 14, Tambon Bang Sao Thong, Amphur Bang Sao Thong, Samutprakarn Province 10570, Thailand.