A weekend in Tiong Bahru is a totally different experience. Here’s what to expect if you dare venture into Singapore’s hipster mecca.
1. The line at 40 Hands resembles the Battle of Blackwater in Game of Thrones.
2. The organic produce stall in Tiong Bahru Market is flooded with expats.
3. While upstairs, the busker uncle is singing in his wheelchair.
4. The holier-than-thou cat at BooksActually is holding court for a crowd of supplicants (who have never read in book in their lives).
5. Drunk girls in sundresses are spilling out after attempting the brunchtime Champagne challenge at Open Door Policy.
6. The atmospheric bicycles outside Plain Vanilla are surrounded by non-customers posing for #OOTD shots.
7. All the best dishes have run out at Loo’s Hainanese Curry Rice.
8. You’re having a cuteness-induced panic attack over a $70 teacup at Strangelets.
9. The table next to you at brunch is occupied by moms in their fancy yoga gear.
10. Your Instagram feed is clogged with images of the following: Art Deco low-rise HDBs, goldfish murals on aforementioned Art Deco low-rise HDBs, coffee and croissant tableaux (from Tiong Bahru Bakery, obvs) and the stray kitties of Moh Guan Terrace.